<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Prog 267


This prog, featuring a Future Shock written by Alan Moore, is the start of a period where I buy 2000 AD in tiny, considered hits. This isn’t the first Future Shock written by Moore but it should be noted that, by this time, I had almost certainly read issue one of Warrior. A couple of months before, I felt an almost sexual excitement at the site of Steve Dillon’s colourful Axel Pressbutton cover after stumbling across Warrior in my local newsagent. When I saw that it was edited by Dez Skinn, a name that I remember from my favourite Marvel UK titles, Hulk Comic and Doctor Who Weekly, I was sold. After finishing it, I made a deliberate note of who it was who had written my favourite two strips, Marvel Man and V for Vendetta, and it turned out that they were both Alan Moore.

On the surface, Moore wasn’t doing anything particularly innovative with these two strips. In fact, all he was doing was giving comic readers what they had been craving from their genre strips for years; a new level of plausibility. It’s just that he had the insight to recognise this in the first place, the skills to write it extremely well and the nerve to act on it all. His work, I'm not ashamed to say, rocked my world. He obviously had a similar impact on others too as all of the UK based comic fanzines were talking about him. It was through this network of publications that I was able to glean where Moore’s work would be appearing next; usually in Warrior, often in 2000 AD and occasionally from Marvel UK.

I’ve mentioned here before how, at the time, I thought 2000 AD was slow on the uptake of new creative talent such as Steve Dillon and Alan Moore. Doing The Slog has shown me that, in fact, it moved pretty quickly and, in the case of Moore, was publishing his strips long before Warrior had even started.

Warrior itself remains an impressive achievement. Although outside of Alan Moore’s work there was little to get excited about and the last few months it running reprints of strips from Europe, the artwork was always great. Most notable of all is that this comic, essentially put together and published by enthusiasts, was available for anyone to buy from the newsagent. It’s amazing when you think about it, especially these days. Furthermore, although 2000 AD was altogether more effective at establishing the tone that it tried to market to, Warrior was far more successful at making initial contact with the States which benefited both publications for a while.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Bravo. This captured my own feelings as a young 'un at encountering that first issue of WARRIOR. It was "what's this, and why's it so damned good?".

    Something 2000AD proved to be good at was co-opting the talent from its upstart rivals - WARRIOR, DEADLINE, even Liam Sharp's recent EVENT HORIZON to a certain extent.

    By Blogger Mark, at 4:41 pm  

  • Mark, I remember Warrior being described as the grown-up 2000 AD which, even then at a time when I didn't think that highly of the weekly, I thought was silly. C-opting talent from Deadline suprised me at the time.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home