<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Prog 257


The second book of Nemesis the Warlock finishes this prog. Thanks, perhaps, to being drawn entirely by art robot Jesus Redondo, Nemesis lost much of the aura of eerie otherness that he had before the start of this story. Previously, script robot Pat Mills seemed to use the character more sparingly, often writing several episodes at a time where he didn’t appear. But it was Kevin O’Neill’s elegantly gross art style that helped Nemesis to maintain that sense of he-ain’t-like-one-of-us. Redondo, an artist who I like incidentally, who draws a great blonde, fuzzy haired cherub, made Nemesis seem almost cuddly in comparison.

This prog’s notable first is art by Bryan Talbot. Talbot draws the Future Shock, Thr Wages of Sin, written by script robot Alan Moore. On paper, this would be a match made in heaven given that they appear to share many creative sensibilities so thank God that 2000 AD is printed on paper, then. Whenever I spot Bryan Talbot at a comic convention, I have the urge to approach him and say, “Mr Talbot? I just want to say that I have been long time admirer of your hair.” I just think that it’s unfair that a man of his age has such great hair when I started to go bald aged sixteen.

Finally, after being left on a cliff hanger over one hundred progs ago, Dan Dare returns! Only this time it’s in another comic, the re-launched Eagle, issue one of which is advertised in this prog. If my memory is correct, Eagle at this time is made up predominantly with photo strips and has the higher grade of reproduction that 2000 AD has always deserved. The Dan Dare strip, although drawn, is a reconfiguration more in line with the original from the fifties. It means that the unresolved cliff hanger from 2000 AD remains. And, if all this wasn’t bad enough, as if to rub the noses of every Squaxx de Thargo in it, the free gift is a space spinner, just like the one from prog one!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • I wish someone would reprint all of the new Eagle's Dare stuff in one place. From what I've gleaned, a lot of it was pap, perhaps pappier than anything 2000ad ever did to him - but the art of Embleton, Kennedy, Pugh etc. was very good.

    I 'met' Bryan Talbot at Comicon'81. I was stood by some of the original art for Luther Arkwright (a big illustration of W.O.T.A.N.), and I mumbled 'rrr, that's great', to which the gent standing by me said, 'I did that!'. I walked away vaguely embarrassed for some reason, quite unable at the age of 14 to decipher this as meaning he was the artist. What a putz.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 9:43 pm  

  • Ken, I didn't stick around for Eagle for very long because I hated the photo-strips. Dare always looked good though. Some or all of the Doom Slayer/Lord/Whatever it was called (It's slipped my mind at the moment) were reprinted a year or two ago by a small publisher and I regret not buying a copy.

    I still get tongue tired on the rare occasions that I meet comic writers and artists. I'm sure to blog about some of my disasters in The Slog at some point.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:15 pm  

  • Doomlord! That was it!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:16 pm  

  • I bought around 30 or so issues of the new Eagle, but only for the Dan Dare stuff. I really couldn't justify the spend for only 2 pages or so of colour strip. I ended up giving them away to a charity shop a few year ago, aaaaargh.

    Try http://www.dandare.org.uk/DanDareReprint1.htm and its homepage for a confusing but informative overview of Dan Dare output.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 2:41 pm  

  • and
    http://www.dandare.org/dan/faces/faces.htm

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 2:55 pm  

  • I hated Eagle. I was hoping (foolishly) that Dan Dare would be a continuation of the 2000ad strip and instead got a tepid re-working of a 1950's Boy's Own Adventure. It felt like a marketing ploy to get fathers to buy the comic for their sons.

    And as for the photo-strips. All I remember is the mullets...the mullets...

    Oh, the horror.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 8:44 am  

  • Stavros, the Eagle re-launch didn't have cocks in it - that's one way of not putting off dads from buying a comic for their kid.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:07 pm  

  • Depends on the dad. Modern times and all that.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 7:47 pm  

  • Yeah, the Dare stories were substandard but I agree with Ken re: the art. Doomlord, however, rocked. Wish I knew that it had been reprinted. That was a fab strip.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home