<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, October 12, 2007

Prog 249


Inside this prog, Tharg provides a half page run down of seven comic marts and conventions taking place throughout the UK during February and March. Seven? These days you’ll be lucky if that many occur each year.

Associating itself with what is essentially the comic fan scene is something that I never remember 2000 AD doing much of at this time, 1982, so seeing this list is a bit of a surprise. Outside of annual signings at Forbidden Planet in Denmark Street (which is in London) any other fan association felt tokenistic as the scene seemed pretty much American biased, to me. In fact, when Lew Stringer published a new edition of his British comic fanzine, After Image, he seemed like something of an exception, almost an eccentric. But as a crossover between fans of American and UK comics, 2000 AD goes on to be the success with the highest profile.

I went to my first convention around this time. My friend had arranged for his uncle to take us there in his Jag. It was a massive disappointment as he turned up at my friend’s house very late and we only managed to make the last hour of the event. It was there that I bought Marvel Team-Up 100, in which Spider-Man fights the Fantastic Four drawn by Frank Miller. Considering the lack of distribution of this comic to UK newsagents and my very limited funds and time, I think I did pretty well in the circumstances.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Marvel UK was pretty fan friendly around 1982, I seem to remember. Back then, you'd see Alan Moore reviewing fanzines, doing con reports, and all sorts.

    Of course, Alan Moore's last con report from UKCAC 1987 would have been pretty funny too. "I was trying to take a shit and some guy pushed a copy of WATCHMEN under the door to be signed", that sort of thing.

    By Blogger Mark, at 8:51 pm  

  • The first con I went to was Comicon'81 I think, in London. Back in the days when Dez Skinn had hair. I remember having to leave the late showing of Mad Max to catch the coach back to Scotland with my dad. 13 hours on the A1 - crikey I was keen back then ;) Good event though, and I got Frank Miller to sign the cover of Daredevil, the naughty one with the big revolver.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 11:10 pm  

  • Mark, this is the start of all that fan stuff. Warrior 1 is just about out if at all. Alan Moore's big ascension is yet to start. Daredevils is a year or two away yet. ...

    By the way, just got back from Brum Con a little drunk as I write this.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 11:45 pm  

  • Ken, that sounds wicked! and your dad sounds understanding. I coudn't even get my dad to write checques out for me in exchange for cash so I could order non-distributed comics by mail.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 11:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home