<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Prog 240


I’ve always thought Messimo Bellardinelli to be the only art robot to have worked on ACE Trucking Co and yet, we’re on only the second story and it’s already being drawn by another guy, Ian Gibson. I get the impression from last prog’s editorial that Belardinelli is ill as, according to Tharg, he is undergoing vital renovations. I guess that ACE Trucking Co is so unique that the process of selling it to the reader at this point cannot be interrupted by anything as inconvenient as the artist undergoing vital surgery.

This prog’s Alan Moore penned Future Shock, called A Cautionary Tale and written in rhyme, is drawn by Paul Neary. Neary isn’t an artist that I associate with 2000 AD. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the only bit of work that he does for the comic. I mention Neary because I want it on the record that I have always liked his art style and think it is a shame that he only seems to ink other artist’s pencils these days.

Rhyme seems to be the theme this prog. In Nemesis the Warlock, the Terminators sing the Deviatus, or The Battle Hymn, as they slaughter a bunch of aliens. I should, of course, be appalled by all the bloodshed going on but it’s is so lavishly drawn by Kevin O’Neill that I can’t help but wish that the racial hatred never ends.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I checked it out, and yes, that's the only job Neary's drawn solo for 2000AD. He did write the story Mother Earth, drawn by Cliff Robinson, though. Progs 867-872, apparently. Damned if I can remember a bloomin' thing about it, though.

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:34 pm  

  • Mark, I don't remember that thrill at all! It must at least look good.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:32 pm  

  • My thoughts exactly. Next time I'm in the attic, I'll dig it out for a gander.

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:15 pm  

  • Poor Cliff, having to draw that rubbish. That was just about the time I stopped buying 2000AD.

    By Blogger Peter, at 10:54 pm  

  • Cliff is a bit of an enigma to me. I guess that's somehting else I will write about later, Peter :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:58 pm  

  • Another lovely Bolland cover. Love Max Normal's briefs.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home