<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Prog 238


Originally hinted at as far back as prog 192, Project X is revealed on the page just before this week’s episode of Block Mania. The Daily Star Judge Dredd weekly strip has begun. I say begun, past tense, because, despite having been working on it as far back as prog 192, Tharg hasn’t got around to telling us about it until eleven episodes into its run. I guess that he must have been superstitious about the arrangement and didn’t want to jinx it.

At this time, I wasn’t going anywhere near to 2000 AD but even I knew about Judge Dredd appearing in The Daily Star. I don’t know how I knew, but it seemed like big news, even to a non Squaxx Dek Thargo like me. If a newspaper like The Daily Star was running Judge Dredd then that must mean that the mainstream is beginning to accept the validity of comics outside of the standard four panel gag strips that they normally featured. I didn’t know that the Daily Star was rubbish, did I.

In the article, Tharg informs us that the strip is written by John Wagner, “a droid from the same mould as John Howard and TB Grover”. I often talk about the pseudonyms that creators used, especially John Wagner. Some say he used them because he didn’t want to draw attention to number of thrills that he wrote from publisher IPC while others wonder (me, mainly) if perhaps he was just being modest. Using his real name in The Daily Star confuses things a bit for me as, up until this point, he had rarely been credited with his real name in 2000 AD. It can’t just be about concealing the quantity of work or modesty, surely.

As for The Slog; I haven’t decided yet whether to include the Daily Star strips as part of it. When it ran weekly, it was a beautiful example of tight story telling but my memory of it when it ran daily, which it started to a few years later, is that the discipline previously on display had slipped. I’ll see how I feel when I reach the period that the collections are produced.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Well, that proves my earlier comment of Project X to be complete balderdash. Remembered getting collected editions of the Daily Star strips - these were particularly good at putting out the blackly humourous elements of Mega City One. One strip that stands out is where Dredd arrests a 'good' citizen because she's made a citizen arrest (which is illegal in MC1). Oh, so cynical! So Dredd!

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home