<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, October 05, 2007

Prog 236


I took the opportunity during a break away this week to read Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus Volume One. I’ve always been a fan of Kirby’s comic work, ever since I was a kid, particularly his early Silver Age Marvel stuff like the Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk and Captain America. But I was also selective. For example, I have never much bothered with The Mighty Thor and his work during the seventies, such as The Eternals, baffled me a little. Why is he drawing like this, I used to think, instead of how he used to draw? Now, as an adult (apparently), I fully appreciate how good Kirby’s work is during this period.


This is the first time that I have encountered this piece and, if I thought that reading a lot of Grant Morrison had prepared me for how utterly strange The Fourth World is, then I was an idiot. It is just mental! So, it is with some relief that I am now back home and continuing with the relative sanity of The Slog.


The Judge Dredd story, Block Mania, begins this prog. Tharg has mentioned once or twice already that this tale is significant, as if to say, don’t be fooled by its modest, down beat beginning. And he’s right. Who would have thought that full scale nuclear war could possibly start with something as small as a freezy-whip being dropped into the face of a passer by?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • "Who would have thought that full scale nuclear war could possibly start with something as small as a freezy-whip being dropped into the face of a passer by?"

    You should try coming round my place someday...

    By Blogger Stavros, at 4:47 pm  

  • Ice cream fight!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 11:03 am  

  • Re Jack Kirby. I must confess to finding his 70s work, in particular, pretty hard going. He really loved those great big shadowing blocks of black ink, didn't he? Reminds me somewhat of what Mike Deodata is doing at the moment on his Marvel books. Kirby's early work on Hulk, though, is really good.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:10 pm  

  • Oh, and I love this cover, btw.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 4:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home