<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Star Lord Annual 1982


Yuk. This really is a hard backed pile of cheap crap. Just take a look at that cover for starters. It looks like a photograph that some lazy bastard snatched from an archive somewhere or other. If I had unwrapped this Christmas morning 1981, I would have wrapped it straight back up and shoved it up the chimney with a note attached to Father Christmas to read Christmas Eve 1982 telling him never to darken my house with gifts this bad again.

It’s ugly page after ugly page of dull articles on the space shuttle and some astronaut or other accompanied by dreary, muddy black and white photographs, and reprints of old IPC strips that were rubbish first time around. There are only two originated strips in it; The Exterminator, which to be fare, is a beautiful looking story drawn by Gary Leach. The heart breaking thing about it is that it looks like the budget might have stretched to commissioning full colour artwork but didn’t stretch to printing it. And the only item in the whole book that, other than its name, connects it to the original comic; Strontium Dog which, although drawn by Carlos Ezquerra, is drawn by him in a hurry. I’ve seen artwork by Ezquerra that he’s drawn in a rush over the years but this is clearly the fastest artwork he has ever produced.

If you come across this annual at a car boot sale or something and are tempted to buy it because of its reported awfulness, then don’t. It’s so bad that it’s gone passed ironic and kitsch bad. In fact, I have found the whole experience of reading it so demoralising that I feel like sleeping for a week, after a good cry of course.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Yup that's the annual I mentioned last month. The cover is indeed a chaep knock-off from a stock photo: it's the Liberator spaceship from BBC's 'Blake's Seven'. Insulting drivel - even at eleven years of age.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 7:02 pm  

  • Stavros, they never made another!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:15 pm  

  • Yup, I got this for a Chrissie pressie, and was gobsmacked within moments at how ridiculously poor it was. I mean, I felt guilty because I'd done my usual 'badger the parents for 3 months for some books for Christmas' bit, and this tripe cost good money.

    I sold the darn thing on eBay last year (sorry hapless buyer), so I can't check - but was there any connection inside to BBC's Liberator on the front? WTF? Was there any acknowledgment of copyrighy? Hey, and I love the classy way the hack artworker has chopped the Starlord logo to fit across the top, mental perspective and all.

    Insulting drivel indeed - well said Stavros, but I'd go further and say it was shite, which I think is the word I used at the time resulting in a good ear cuff.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 10:43 pm  

  • I've got this in the attic somewhere. You sure it's Ezquerra - I remember one of the Starlord annuals had a glorious full-colour STRONTIUM DOG by Brendan McCarthy.

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:49 pm  

  • Hey Ken, I think I might be the guy who bought it from you. Can I have my money back?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:07 pm  

  • Mark, it's not credited to Ezquerra but it I'm certain it's him. The McCarthy SD strip appears in the 1980 annual. It is, indeed, glorious.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:11 pm  

  • If you're the chap who bagged all the Starlord annuals off me (2? 3? I can't recall) then I probably owe you the princely sum of £2 for the lot ;) Call it a pint...

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 9:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home