<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Prog 223


It’s the beginning of the first book of Nemesis the Warlock. Everything about this strip impresses at this stage from Pat Mills’ considered script to Kevin O’Neill’s intricate artwork.

O’Neill’s art style often seemed to have come from out of nowhere, and not just to me. Later this decade he becomes the only artist whose very own style prevents his work from being approved by the American Comics Code Authority. This is down principally to the troubling way that he draws aliens, a talent that shines particularly during this strip. This is like being banned for the colour of your eyes or the depth of your breathing.

After years of being intrigued as to what artists must have influenced O’Neill’s unique style, I learn that the answer has been staring me in the face all along from the BBC 4 programme, Comics Britannia. Beano artists. Principally, Leo Baxendale. Of course!

Also this prog dated 1 Aug 1981, I learn that the wedding between Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer takes place around this time, thanks to ads for special additions of fellow IPC comics Tiger & Speed and Roy of the Rovers. I would like to take this opportunity to join in with the rest of the nation in wishing the happy couple a long, successful and happy marriage.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Not seen Comics Britainnia, so I can't on what O'Neill has actually said, but it always seemed to me that Ken Reid was the main influence on hs Nemesis style; particularly Face Ache (from Buster) and Frankie Stein (Wham)

    By Blogger Soap, at 10:08 pm  

  • Soap, you're probably right. O'Neill was the only modern artist to appear in the programme that I rrecognised and so I made a connection in my mind.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:59 am  

  • Nice comment about Chas and Di :)

    Nemesis started well, in my opinion but lost its way somewhat about four or five volumes in, particularly when Mills became less subtle about what exactly he was satirising.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 3:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home