<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Prog 218


Supernatural space saga, Return to Armageddon, concludes this prog. Regular readers of The Slog will know that when I've written about it before that I said that I didn't enjoy it very much but, as I expected and is usually the case, the moment I placed these feelings into print, they changed. Seeing the thrill finish isn't bad news to me but it isn't the good news that I originally expected it to be.

What helped win me over was the arrival of the character Amtrak (not to be confused with the courier company) or, more accurately, his disfigurement. Up until then, the thrill seemed populated with characters that were difficult to like but the moment Amtrak was hit with the ugly stick and cursed with permanent pain, I found that he was someone I could sympathise with. Once this occurred, and his friendship with his robot sidekick, Seeker, started, following the story stopped feeling laborious.

Actually, looking back, the story unfolds in a surprising way. As seems to be the case with the lengthier 2000 AD runs at this time, the thrill felt more organic rather then conforming to the three act structure that Hollywood continuously sicks up at us. Whether this was always meant to be or down to the ebb and flow of editorial interventions and reader surveys, I cannot say, but it is certainly an interesting possibility.

Also this prog, The Mean Arena returns. Tharg has been promising for weeks that when it returns it will have added thrill power or, in other words, some thrill power. In general, it's too early to say if this is the case, but Steve Dillon appears to be the art robot in residence so this is an obvious step in the right direction.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Steve Dillon, upon occasion, seems mightily capable of slapdashing to show his disinterest in a story... so I accuse you of being a hopeless optimist as far as Average Arena is concerned ;)

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 12:55 pm  

  • Ken, don't say that! I could be at the startr of months of episodes! :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:13 pm  

  • I seem to remember him doing pretty good work in the Arena, and in his first little while with 2000ad, then getting progressively more 'slap-dashy' til I eventually wrote him off. All his faces, including the women, look the same, even in later stuff like Preacher! They all look like they've been chewing gum continually since the age of 3.

    By Blogger mat_tait, at 9:59 pm  

  • I see where you might be coming from regarding some of his later 2000 AD work, Mat (from memory at this stage). Dillon is one hell of an actor, I think.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:01 am  

  • Matt Dillon? :)

    By Blogger mat_tait, at 12:56 pm  

  • Interesting comments on Return to Armageddon, particularly in relation to the fact that stories just won't get the freedom to run as long as this (or Meltdown Man) in today's comics. They have to arrive, say their piece and get the hell out. And I kind of miss the old style slow burn of the way stories developed in British comics back when I was a lad. Perhaps that's just pure sentimentality on my part.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 3:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home