<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Prog 216


An unexpected side affect of taking part in The Slog has seen me cancelling half of my comic standing order, three quarters of my regular monthly books. I found that the protracted story telling used in most contemporary monthly books doesn't compare favourably with the intense injection in thrill power I am exposing myself to most days at the moment. Often, when I read a monthly book, I find it difficult to remember what happened the issue before, usually because very little did. Consequently, I contacted my dealer (only drug addicts and comic readers refer to the guy that they buy their gear from as their dealer) yesterday regarding what is, to me, a dramatic decision.

Thanks to The Slog, I have been reminded of the simple pleasure of walking into a newsagent and casually buying a comic from there. This is part of what I intend to do from now on; to casually buy the occasional, better quality, value for money, reprint book from WH Smith's or my local shop every now and then. You don't think that I'll regret my decision do you?

Amongst the comics I have cancelled are The Programme and Infinity Inc, two titles written by Pete Milligan who (and here's the link) is this prog's notable first, making his premier appearance writing Future Shock, The Man Who Was Too Clever.

Like I was with Alan Moore, I am surprised at how early Milligan's first work appeared. I had always assumed that he had chanced upon comics as a result of intellectual writers curiosity. I envisaged him hooking up with Brett Ewins (art robot for this tale) and Brendan McCarthy and writing arty comics for them to draw, such as Strange Days, as part of a temporary creative phase but found himself still stuck in the industry twenty six years later. Instead, here he is, settling into the Future Shock groove like it's a second skin.

The Man Who Was Too Clever is a good little tale containing early flashes of Milliganism about a crook cloning himself to distract the encroaching clutches of the law. It's five pages that is much better than most of his recent run on X-Men and, I fear, his upcoming Infinity Inc. (And if reviews say that Infinity Inc is as good as, say, his X-Force run, then I'll just buy the trade paper back collection. Sorted!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I have always loved that cover! I think it's one of Bolland's best, just so weird you have to see what the heck's going on inside.

    By Blogger Grant, at 4:12 pm  

  • Bolland's covers are starting to increase on that surreal, intrigueing quality that they have. It is a good one.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 7:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home