<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, September 10, 2007

Prog 214


2000 AD is going through a multi-part epic phase. Return to Armageddon and Meltdown Man seem to have been running for months and months, and that's not just because I don't like them very much. (Actually, that's not entirely true but then, you should never let the truth get in the way of an off hand remark). I imagine the popularity of the Judge Dredd epics published so far have been partly responsible for this.

Currently, the Strontium Dog story Portrait of a Mutant is up to part twelve. Set mainly as flashback, seventeen year old Johnny Alpha is a major player in the mutant resistance. As uprisings happen all over the country, Alpha takes part in an attack on Upminster, the British parliament, and is under special orders to take out Nelson Kreelman, the minister responsible for anti-mutant legislation. This episode ends with Kreelman having escaped and Johnny being exposed as his son.

I've had a lot to say about this current run of Strontium Dog but I've had difficulty expressing it. I want to comment on its Britishness, the pacing and tone of the script and the use of mutations. Instead, thanks to Slog commenter paddybrown, I've found myself experiencing the brain equivalent of a T bomb attack. In a previous entry, I talked a little about Alan Grant and John Wagner's writing partnership, whereupon paddybrown commented that, according to David Bishop's book Thrill-Power Overload, all thrills credited at this point to either Grant or Wagner or any of their pseudonyms, are collaborations.

Now, I've not read Thrill-Power Overload and, considering the amount of 2000 AD stuff I'm shoving up my head gullet at the moment, I have no plans to in the near future, so there's a chance that the journey from Bishop writing this information and me processing it might have gone awry. However, according to the official 2000 AD website, these Strontium Dog tales are written by script robot Alan Grant and, although I'm not discounting that John Wagner might have had some sort of input, I am considering him to be the sole writer. Now that I've taken this decision, I feel more equipped to blog in future about Strontium Dog, even if my writing might be based on a misconception. It's a shame that Portrait of a Mutant is probably nearly finished.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Boy so many classic 2000AD's here, I occasionally look inside the comic still in Forbidden Planet but I haven't bought it in years,it went really down hill in the 90's,or probably even before that.

    By Blogger Andrew Glazebrook, at 1:04 am  

  • Hi Andrew. I probably agree with you, so it will be interesting to see how I feel when I get to the 90s in The Slog.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:21 pm  

  • It did go downhill in the nineties but has been back on great form for the past four or five years.

    Re: Wagner/Grant. As I understand it, from the time they started working together until the end of Oz pretty much everything's a collaboration. The writing credit often went to the one who typed up the script!

    By Blogger Peter, at 8:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home