<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Prog 207


Another in an ad hoc series of Tharg strips appears this prog featuring the usual displays of crazy mightiness that we've now come to expect, this time drawn by art robot Mike Dorey. There are some scenes featuring evil British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher discussing the disappearance of Croydon with the rest of her cabinet. Bizarrely, all the men have novelty, Victorian era styled moustaches.

The Future Shock tells the tale of a man who, driven to distraction by the noise that his next door neighbours make, invents a device that neutralises it. Understandably, his first thought is, "I could make a fortune out of this!" but instead of patenting and marketing his invention as I had expected, he goes on a robbing spree. Of course this makes me really cross as I've had a few noisy neighbours in my time since this story was published and, had things worked out differently, could have made good use of a device like this.

2007 superstar comic writer Warren Ellis has a letter printed this prog which I understand to be one of a few that he has published over the years. I'm guessing that he must be about twelve years old at this time and I imagine him writing it on a portable typewriter, sitting in the pub garden, drinking shots of apple juice, chewing a liquorice pipe and stroking his bum-fluff.

Most UK based comic creators from the last twenty five years who have gone onto achieve success in the American comic book industry produced work for 2000 AD at some point in their career. Interestingly, I don't believe this to be the case with Ellis (I'm not counting his letters to the Nerve Centre) despite him obviously being a fan at one point. This is surprising to me as he clearly appreciates science fiction, with even his mainstream superheo work often having a sci-fi bent.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • he wrote at least one Judge Strange story for the Megazine - John wagner - JOHN WAGNER!!!! - told him it was overly violent.

    Sean Phillips painted it, if i recall correctly

    yup, here 'tis

    http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/2600313.html#cutid1

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 1:28 pm  

  • drhoz, I seem to remember Judge Strange. But, for the sake of arguement, and to save me the effort of editing my post, I'm not going to count that :-)

    John Wagner telling you that your strip is too violent is quite claim to fame, I'd say.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home