<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Prog 205


A few years after this prog is published, I become a regular reader of comic ‘zines like Fantasy Advertiser and When Worlds Collide. It wasn’t uncommon for some fan or other to write about the period during their adolescence where they drifted away from reading comics because they had discovered girls. They only came back as their teens were finishing after stumbling across an issue of Justice League of America or something and being surprised at how good it was. It was if they had spent their teenage years copping off with girls but, by the time they hit the age of twenty, had got bored with all that, as if sex is just some phase you go through.

At the time that this prog was published I was thirteen years old. I had always been aware that girls existed and that they probably didn’t like me very much, or at least not in that way, and so never wandered away from reading comics. However, I can say with some certainty that for the prog two hundreds, I hardly ever went anywhere near to 2000 AD. Instead, I was enthused by American books like Uncanny X-Men, Frank Miller’s Daredevil and the DC renascence which was starting modestly with titles like New Teen Titans. US comics in 1981 were becoming increasingly available in UK newsagents and I loved it.

So, my blogging of the two hundreds might throw up some surprises, at least to me. For example, I had always thought that 2000 AD was slow on the uptake of Alan Moore but it seems that they were there from the beginning, at least a year or two before the first issue of Warrior.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • I liked this cover a lot as a kid. Its Dave Gibbons doing Meltdown Man which is slightly odd as Belardinelli drew the entire run (I think)

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 11:01 am  

  • Gibbons drew the bear like he's a lot less fierce, almost cuddly, Dom.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:54 pm  

  • My wife assures me that sex was indeed just a phase I went through. (She thinks if she tells me often enough then I might believe her...) ;))

    At 40 I'm getting back into comics (probably to fill some kind of gap (ahem)). Your progslogblog is helping to rekindle things. ta.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 10:33 am  

  • Hey Ken! I was 40 only a couple of weeks ago. How did that happeen? I quite like it so far :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 11:29 am  

  • Hello Paul

    I am working through the prog slog (actually, working makes it sound like labour - it is a pleasure to read) and want to congratulate you on a fantastic site. My recollection of the early 1980s was of newsagents throughout Tamworth being festooned with Marvel and DC - some had several months of back issues in stock, piled up on the floor. All that, and the Marvel UK reprints of the likes of X-Men and Fantastic Four, plus homegrown talent in The Daredevils. It was a truly fantstic time to be discovering (or rediscovering comics).

    I take it that you are currently having a break from the slog (I write this on the last day of August, 2009) but hope you come back soon to this project.

    By Blogger those we left behind, at 3:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home