<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, September 23, 2007

For Your Information

In case you missed it, Radio 4 broadcast a documentary about 2000 AD yesterday hosted by regular Never Mind The Buzzcocks panellist Phil Jupitus. You can listen to it again over the next week at the following link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio4/aod.shtml?radio4/futureshock# It’s not a bad documentary actually even if it is just a potted history of the comic. (Personally, I think that 2000 AD is capable of supporting a more substantial programme or series). Jupitus is neither annoying, like he is on TV’s most depressing panel show, nor sleepy, like he often sounded when he hosted the 6 Music breakfast show. There are a couple of disappointments, however. John Wagner, although referred to, is absent, but what do you expect? Also, I’m not sure that I like the idea of David Bishop being thought of as 2000 AD’s official historian given that he edited the era that drove me away.

Oh, and while I’m here, don’t forget tomorrow evening’s Comics Britannia on BBC 4 which covers 2000 AD supposedly.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • Yeah, the Bishop era drove me away, too. Picked up a Diggle (#1231)issue with a Kev Walker cover, Dredd by Jock, a Sinister Dexter by Andy Clarke, a future shock by D'Israeli, and a mention of Colin Wilson coming back on Dredd, and never looked back since.

    So, aye, Bishop as official historian: kinda ironic for me as well.

    By Blogger Mark, at 12:39 am  

  • Remind me: when did the Bishop era start? I've got this feeling...

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 9:01 am  

  • Bishop was in for Christmas 1995 to 2000. That's when I bailed too! I seem to remember an increase in Australia-centric adventures around that time. It also seemed to be getting so painfully fashion-conscious that I felt Bishop would be happier editing The Face.

    As for Paul's comments about Phil Jupitus: can't agree strongly enough. I'm just waiting for the next BBC-fakery scandal whereby it's forced to admit they add laughter to the supposedly live audience of Buzzcocks. I was there for a taping several years ago and it was like being held in a prison camp.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 2:45 pm  

  • Mark, I've never been back for any longer than just a couple of issues (like the recent McMahon Dredd one). I always look through it and the Megazine, though, and, visually, they both look pretty good, I would say.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:20 pm  

  • Ken, I'll answer your question when I get to the prog in the slog. I know that Tharg was replaced by those X Files knosk offs during it, if that helps :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:22 pm  

  • Stavros, I sometimes suspect that Jupitus writes the gags and questions for the host, Simon thingy to read on Buzzcocks. Even Baily, who I find otherwise very funny, is depressing on that show, I think. Thing is, Jupitus is a brother, (he likes comics, doesn't he) so at the end of the day I still like him.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:26 pm  

  • I suspect it doesn't take much of a genuine interest to become Comics Book Guy at the BBC. In my experience, producers and agents look for a person who will become 'the face' (or voice), to accompany genre programming. Anyhow - off topic. Apologies.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 1:33 am  

  • The Men In Black. What a f8ckin' stupid idea that was.

    By Blogger Mark, at 10:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home