<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Prog 194


I can't believe that it's 1981 already! Where has my life gone? In the Nerve Centre, Tharg tells us that 1981 is to be the year of the alien. All sorts of real life, first time encounters with aliens are scheduled to take place this year, some friendly, some hostile. My recolection is that nothing like this happened. Feel free to tell me if you remember differently.

At the end of a recent issue, instead of the usual Next Prog advert there was a page promoting what is to come in the New Year. These include the return of Dan Dare to 2000 AD to coincide with the start of a new TV show and the mysterious Project X. Dan Dare didn't return to comics until the re-start of Eagle later this decade and the TV show didn't happen for another twenty years. And as for Project X; either it didn't happen or, if it did, it was so unremarkable that I don't remeber that either.

Is it just me or is Tharg becomming increasingly cruel in his responses to readers letters? More often he seems to be taking delight in pulling readers apart over something they've written to him which seems ungrateful considering that he asked to be sent the letters in the first place. It seems even more cruel when you remember that Tharg's words are written by adults and the readers words, usually, by children. I feel especially sorry for the reader who recently wrote in complaining that the new Judge Dredd script robot TB Grover (John Wagner) isn't as good as the old one, John Howard (John Wagner). There was no need to print that.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Aliens arriving in 1981. Let me think...

    Wasn't that the year Thatcher made Leon Brittan Home Secretary?

    Definitely Slitheen.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 9:30 am  

  • You might be right; full eighties invasion.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:34 pm  

  • Project X may have been the return of the Eagle? Alternatively, I do recall Madness (in an alternative guise) releasing a single about Judge Dredd a few years later than this (around 1984), but that it had been a long time in the making. I could be wrong and I appreciate the length of time between this and the single release, but I think I read elsewhere (David Bishop in Judge Dredd Megazine?) that this might have been 'Project X'. The single? Entirely underwhelming. And this from a Madness fan.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 3:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home