<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, August 06, 2007

Prog 192


Dash Decent is starting to become interesting. The single page funny strip which a thinly disguised and pointless satire of Flash Gordon has been running since the prog 178, the most recent re-launch issue. Its origins seem to spin out of Captain Klep, the equally unfunny single paged funny strip that 2000 AD inherited from Tornado. It's as if the Dash Decent creation process included someone thinking that all Captain Klep needed to make itself popular is a good artist like, say, Kevin O'Neill, and the chance to start all over again. All I keep thinking when I read an episode is, this is another waste of a page that O'Neill could have spent drawing for the next Nemesis story. More so than Captain Klep, Dash Decent refers to itself. We all know that being a funny strip and apologising for the jokes is basically code for "I hate myself".

What I find interesting about Dash Decent is that it seems to volunteer information about the readers voting process. In this episode, Dash solicits for votes from the readers informing us that his strip is on the short list for cancellation. To me, the idea that the creators of a thrill can be informed by Tharg that their strip is about to be cancelled if they don't amp up their game is curious. Of course, Dash Decent does this by becoming even more whiney and annoying. "Please vote for me. Please..."

A nine year old friend of mine sat giggling at an episode of Strontium Dog from a couple progs back, yesterday. In it, Wulf Sternhammer squirts ketchup into the face a dinner guest who is being rude about Johnny Alpha's mutation. Later, after the guest and her husband have stormed out of the dining room, Johnny asks to be passed the ketchup. Wulf has to explain that there is none left. My point is that 2000 AD is already funny, thanks to thrills like this, Judge Dredd and Abelard Snazz. It has never needed single paged goof fests like Dash Decent. Readers who like this sort of thing are catered for adequately elsewhere in comics like Cor and Whizzer and Chips.

Mind you, I do like the artwork. And the episodes where Dash was a skeleton trying to find his own skin were fun, if a bit troubling.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Goatse cover!

    (I've been on the internet too long...)

    By Blogger Pete Ashton, at 2:16 pm  

  • Pete, I had no idea what that meant until I googled it. Did you experiance all eight stages? (Does this sound like a good response?)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:49 pm  

  • My first goatse was so long ago I can't remember my reaction. But once you start seeing it everywhere it never stops!

    By Blogger Pete Ashton, at 7:30 pm  

  • *screams* oh, you BASTARD *scrubs eyes at the memories*

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 5:52 am  

  • I'm sorry. And it's only half the cover.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 2:08 pm  

  • Aaaargh! He's right! There are some areas that I wish 2000ad hadn't been a pioneer in...

    By Blogger Stavros, at 9:26 am  

  • Hey, Paul. Cor! had been long gone by this time, though I think Whizzer and Chips was still around for a couple of years yet by this stage. Yours anally.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 3:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home