<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Prog 190


If my recent Slog entries read as if written by the heart crushingly disappointed then maybe you can imagine what a breath of fresh air the Mean Arena break for the first appearance of Abelard Snazz is to me. Snazz, the president of Think Inc and the genius with the two-storey brain has been given the task of solving Twopp’s outrageous crime problem.

Snazz’s adventures were often farcical and usually ended with him being abandoned somewhere inaccessable by his customers. In this story, his solution to the crime problem is to build a robo-police force. When the robo-police become over exuberant, he builds robo-criminals to distrat them and then robo-victims. In the end, the planet becomes so over populated by robots that all the humans have no choice but to vacate it. In the end, Snazz and his companion are booted out of an airlock into space.

First time around, thirteen year old me loved the occasional Abelard Snazz stories. It was his lack of luck, his unshakable faith in himself and his four eyes that made me warm to him straight away. I have an extra special fondness for the character because I later noticed that he was written by script robot Alan Moore, who wasn’t to register on my comic-radar for at least another year when the first issue of Warrior came out. I love it when it works like that; when you don’t make the connection between two separate things that you like until well after the event.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • Personally, I never really 'got' Mean Arena. I know I'd start reading an episode but by the end I was only looking at the pictures and ignoring the text. Kinda blanked it out... To this day I still don't know what it was about apart from the fact it was a 'sport strip'.
    Although, I did like the idea of them using explosives to blow holes in walls.
    Was it John Richardson and Mike White doing the art?
    Alan Moore wrote some classic short stories for 2000AD. The one's that stick in mind are: the King Kong pisstake done in rhyme where the boy eats some aliens, mutates and grows bigger and bigger. Great Paul Neary art. And the one called Chrono Cops(?) that Dave Gibbons drew.
    Moore's scripts were always a little unsettling. The world was always a little warped in his stories. Not sure whether it meant that he was a better writer than the others or that he was there 'at the right time' for a change in editorial policy where things loosened up and a more 'adult' slant could be taken.

    By Blogger Crow, at 10:32 pm  

  • Crow, it's John Richardson... so far. Art chores change later, I believe.
    Re Alan Moore. I think at this time, it's timing. John Wagner, Pat Mills and Alan Grant seem as good as he is, I would say.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 2:13 pm  

  • I remember fondly a story that I think was written by Moore around this time (possibly a Time Twister?). It was the story of Namron Lamron who lived his life backwards, from old-age heart attack, through a bitter divorce (a form of marriage in the reverse), the joy of forgetting things and skills that had never been any use to him. I still remember the panel when he last sees his wife (who has been growing younger and closer to him as the years reverse). He bumps into her on the street: 'She was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. After that I never saw her again.'

    Ah....brings a tear to ma old cynical eye, it does...

    By Blogger Stavros, at 9:21 am  

  • http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/2963275.html

    that one, Stavros?

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 12:53 pm  

  • That's the one!

    Thanks for the link - it's as good as I remember.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 2:49 am  

  • *nods happily* other moore and 2000AD stuff at scans_daily too

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 9:47 am  

  • I'm with Stavros. That Time Twister is unforgettable. Despite Moore's considerable pedigree, it's still one of his very best pieces of work.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 3:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home