<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Prog 188


Normally in 2000 AD, exposure to nuclear radiation results in extreme baldness or amusing mutation. In current thrill Meltdown Man, Nick Stone is caught in the heart of a nuclear explosion and, instead of being vaporised as you would expect, is transported to another world. Here, man has genetically tampered with animals so that they walk upright and speak English.

Regular readers of The Slog will remember how although initially unimpressed by the Alan Hebden scripted Mind Wars I eventually came around to it. For Meltdown Man however, also scripted by the Hebden droid, I remain unconvinced. The story seems principally to follow the feud between Stone and arch bad guy Leeshar, with the fate of the animal world depending on its outcome. The human characters are unexceptional so far, while the man/animals (referred to as The Yujee) seem to behave as you would expect their cartoon equivalent to, but with earnest. The Yujee seem to choose their side in the feud based upon their own nature and not anything else like background, experience, personal gain or ethics. However, there are aspects about Meltdown Man that prevent it from being just a cutesy animal strip, most notably Belardineli’s scratchy art style.

I remember encountering the first episode when I was thirteen years old and being disappointed by it. When you’ve read as many Marvel comics as I have and you hear that there is a new thrill starting in 2000 AD called Meltdown Man which starts with a guy being caught in a nuclear explosion then you are going to be disappointed when learn that it isn’t a superhero strip. Maybe my feelings about the thrill so far are a hang over from then.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Slightly disappointed to learn you're finding some strips so underwhelming. One of the disappointments of my youth was that I never met anyone suffering Thrill Power Overload so I was really excited to discover your blog. Aha, I thought, anyone reading this many progs so quickly is bound to experience it, turn demented and blog about it but it sounds like you're managing to innoculate yourself by reading all the crappy bits as well.

    By Blogger Tam, at 12:37 pm  

  • Yeah Paul - surely you're ignoring repeated health warnings from Tharg the Mighty?

    By Blogger Stavros, at 3:38 pm  

  • Tam, I have found that the moment I write here that I'm don't like something I start to give it the benefit of the doubt and warming to it. Already I'm softening to Meltdown Man and The Mean Arena.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:27 pm  

  • Stavros, I think maybe I just have a death wish :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:28 pm  

  • Meltdown Man becomes a political message piece. Oh dear. Wait and see.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 4:29 pm  

  • Ken, I hope it's a heavy handed political message :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 11:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home