<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, July 27, 2007

Star Lord Summer Special 1978


This has taken on a bit of mystique for me, mainly because it has been the single issue of Star Lord that has eluded me for so long. (Well a few months anyway). As you might remember, I decided to read every issue of Star Lord for The Slog (but not Tornado), which required me to seek them all out via eBay. For some reason, on the occasions that a copy appeared there, it rarely sold for less than twenty pounds, including postage, which I considered to be over the odds for an issue.

My understanding has always been that it was the Brendan McCarthy drawn Strontium Dog strip that makes it so desirable. But this doesn't explain why other specials and books featuring his early work remain so affordable. One good example is the 1980 Star Lord annual which contains a fully painted Strontium Dog tale by him. It's lovely to look at but my copy only cost around £2, including postage. Of course, in general, the annuals from this period stink whereas this special is pretty good value for money in some respect. Forty-eight pages of all new comic strip (as far as I am aware), except by a group of creators who, in general, drop off the comic radar afterwards.

McCarthy's black and white work from this period, although good, is small and pulpy. Not much like his imaginative, bold and funny later work that we've all come to know and love. Yes, thinking about it, you’ll be better served buying the Star Lord 1980 Annual for your Brendan McCarthy goodness.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Seem to remember that Geoff Campion drew a Ro-Busters strip in this which is kind of unusual. Interesting that someone who was such a mainstay of Fleetway/IPCs adventure strips never made it to 2000AD. I guess I answering my own question by saying that his work was more suited for adventure/war strips. Although he did draw sci-fi strips in the 60's. One was Jet Ace Logan which (I think) had been reprinted in either 2000AD or Starlord annuals. Pretty sure it was Starlord. Seem to remember two separate stories....

    By Blogger Crow, at 9:17 am  

  • Crow, I'm going to have to have another look through the special now that you mention it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home