<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sci-Fi Special 1980


This is the first Sci-Fi Special I remember buying. After this, even during periods of not going anywhere near the weekly, I continued to buy the special. I don't really know why. I guess I must have really liked it.

What's not to like? Just look at that cover, for example. To me, for a long time, Judge Dredd wasn't a muscle man in leather but a surly, sneering, tall, lanky bloke filled out by pads and boots, thanks to this picture by art robot Mike McMahon. This image pre-dates the phase in mainstream comics of big boots and big guns by fifteen years and is infinitely wittier and more charming than anything that came then.

Inside, there is a notable first; the first Judge Dredd strip drawn by art robot Steve Dillon. At this time, I knew Dillon as the artist on the UK originated SHIELD strip that ran in the first twenty issues of Hulk Comic a year or so before. All I can remember thinking at the time was, "what took Tharg so long to give this guy a gig?" A year is a long time to a thirteen year old.

Even the Future Shocks are memorable, including a particularly gruesome one written by script robot Alan Moore (who suddenly seems to have become a 2000 AD regular) and a Robo-Tale (mainly for being especially silly) where an unstoppable robot circles the world, cutting it in half.

Now that I think about it, in comparison to the weekly, the Sci-Fi specials represented good value for money what with sixty eight pages of strong thrills and features printed on better quality of paper and all for just forty-five pence. No wonder I stuck with them for a long while.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • well, of course they let it cut the world in half - they had to fit the Black-hole Bypass in somehow :)

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 12:56 am  

  • drhoz, it was for a more stupid reason than that - they didn't now how to steer the spaceship around the planet!

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:49 pm  

  • ah, so they built the Black Hole Bypass so the spaceship could go straight thru - I knew there had to be a reason the Terran Empire fitted Earth with collapsars in the first place :D

    ( i am, of course, making fun of the Ro-Jaws - Nemesis connection )

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 11:01 am  

  • I agree with you about this version of Dredd. To me, he'll always be lanky and nasty rather than the bruiser depicted in latter years.

    But I suppose middle-age spread affects the best of us...

    By Blogger Stavros, at 2:54 pm  

  • Dredd's middle aged spread often resulted in bigger pecks and massive thighs depending on who drew him.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home