<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Prog 166


This prog served as a reminder that 2000 AD is meant to be savoured, not torn through as if it’s being read against the clock. Sometimes, whilst engaging in The Slog, I’ve been tempted to just get the job of finishing an issue done so I can get on with the rest of my day or go to sleep, depending on when I’m reading it.

It’s this prog’s episode of The Judge Child that has reminded me that The Slog is meant to be an enjoyed process. I remember first time around being completely awe struck by how good Mike McMahon’s artwork is for this episode. Although an occasional reader of 2000 AD at this time, I don’t remember ever pouring over an issue like I had, say, a Marvel comic, until this one.

In The Judge Child part 11, the space ship carrying Judge Dredd and crew enters the mysterious Hadean System. An uncharted planet opens up before them, grabs the ship with its tendrils and closes itself around it. What we see next is the crews fight to escape the creature before the ship is digested which involves blasting their way out into an acid duct then into the blood stream where upon they bomb its heart. In the end they fly out of the planet which now hangs in space looking like a giant smashed orange.

The art is as good as I remember it. (How often can you say that about anything from your childhood?) It’s expressive, stylish and inky with atmosphere. I’m pouring over it again exactly as I remember twelve year old me doing so over twenty seven years ago.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • How can you do that issue without mentioning the cover? OK it's an ad, but it's Brian Bolland drawing Star Wars!

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 11:26 pm  

  • *nods* that was in the Eagle reprint I bought many years ago - the first Dredd, possibly the first comic, I ever bought!

    By Blogger Drhoz, at 3:29 am  

  • Dom, that cover is memorable, you're right. Funnily enough, even then, it never struck me as being particularly good likenesses. Now that cover by Carmine Infantino... :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:19 pm  

  • drhoz, wow first comic?! It must have been downhill ever since. :-) Actually, I had those reprints myself and the package as a whole was pretty good even if the reproduced art was tiny and bolted onto.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:21 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:21 pm  

  • For a prog cover dedicated entirely to the promotion of a stone-age computer game, it's to be expected that the piss-poor character likenesses appear to have been taken from action figures rather than photographs.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 1:34 pm  

  • Stavros, it makes sense that Bolland did this, I'm just surprised at him.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home