<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Star Lord Annual 1980

Another thing about the Fleetway annuals of this period is that it doesn’t matter how unsuccessful a comic might has been, it gets an annual anyway. For example, Star Lord must have finished a year before this and 1980 is its first annual, and there are two more to come. I guess the confused-grandmother-buying-the-wrong-science-fiction-annual-for-Christmas is a significant market.

There seems to be even more resized reprint material here than in this years 2000 AD annual. The originated strips aren’t too bad, however, even if one of them is hosted by Tharg, a character who officially, had nothing to do with Star Lord the weekly. Weirdly, Ro-Jaws appears in a Ro-Busters styled rescue story without Hammer-Stein. Most noteworthy is the colour Strontium Dog strip drawn by Brendan McCarthy. At least I think it’s him as all the work appearing in this year’s annual is un-credited.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Colour McCarthy? I've gotta hunt down a copy of this thing...

    By Blogger mat_tait, at 12:58 am  

  • I'm certain it's McCarthy. It looks great, anyway.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 6:51 pm  

  • If it's not McCarthy it's a McCarthy / Ewins collaboration. It is lovely though - the colour work is detailed, and I believe there's a couple of airbrush effects to be seen - unheard of!

    I just went to check my bookshelf and remembered I flogged my Starlord annuals on eBay a couple of years ago! Aaaaargh!

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 9:18 am  

  • Ken, you might be right. Bret Ewins might have been invloved, but it does look mainly McCarthy, I think.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home