<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Prog 144


There are various covers from this time by art robot Brian Bolland that many readers consider classics. For me, this is one of them. Yes, I know, it might not be his most inspired, it being a homage to the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind which was out around this time, but I remember liking it as a kid and it makes me feel warm inside seeing it again.

I think that this illustration was originally intended as a centre spread as instructions on how to use it as a poster say to undo the staples and gently remove the pages. To use it as a poster, you would need to totally disassemble the comic altogether.

2000 AD seems keen to associate itself with any big budget science fiction release at the moment. Hollywood, which moves nearly as slowly as the Catholic Church when it comes to recognising trends sometimes, has its responses to Star Wars hitting the big screens at last. Already, in the comic, we've seen a report on The Black Hole and a Star Trek cover. Last prog, Ro-Jaws presented a report on Star Trek The Motion Picture.

It's surprising now to think how excited everyone was about the prospect of the cast of Star Trek returning in a big budget movie. I rarely got to go to the cinema. In fact, I maintain that not getting to see Star Wars and Superman left me cultural bereft in the eyes of my peers. So, when my Dad announced that he was taking us to see Star Trek The Motion Picture, I was the happiest kid in Hatfield. I'm sure you can understand how disappointed I was by how dull I found it to be. I remember eventually giving up hope of seeing any action and falling asleep. I was woken up by the sound of my dad snoring in the seat next to me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home