<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Prog 142


After starting the one hundreds packed cover to cover with classic thrills, 2000 AD has settled into a period that, in general, is below par. For me, despite liking it first time around, Wolfie Smith doesn't make the grade. It's early days, so The Slog jury is still out on Stainless Steel Rat and the VCs despite some great art by Mike McMahon and Cam Kennedy (who I was able to tell apart this time). I've warmed a lot to Blackhawk, mainly because the moment I wrote here that it is a bit samie it turned into this totally crazy strip where the main character loses his soul and everyone is sucked into a black hole.

However, Judge Dredd is going through some great one offs and short story runs right now. Part three of The Black Plague appears in this prog. In it, Dredd races across The Cursed Earth on the back of a mutant, meat eating, talking horse called Henry Ford, to warn Mega City One of a plague of poisonous spiders heading its way. Already we've seen a mutie town scare off the spiders, using a ring of fire, but not before Miss Flatface, the school ma'am, is bitten to death.

These Dredd stories, all written by John Wagner as John Howard, are perfectly paced and pitched. But something else that also impresses about them is his inclination to create a great supporting cast for these one offs and short runs that never appear again. Any other writer in Wagner's situation would return to a character like Henry Ford so often that he would have had his own talking doll, I mean, action figure by now. I think Wagner might just be showing off.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Oh I loved the V.Cs. The ship design was great, the art in general was fantastic and I seem to remember it had a few downbeat plot-twists too.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 10:45 pm  

  • Hi Stavros. My court is out on the VCs right now but I've encountered a few people who rate this thrill very highly since starting the slog.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:12 pm  

  • I'm with Stavros - The VCs are, singlehandedly, my all time favourite 2000AD story. (I should add that now the story has resurfaced and I haven't read these new stories, that it's the fantastic first run I'm talking about.)

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 2:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home