<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Prog 131

When my Dad was seen reading an issue of 2000 AD by my Uncle during a family get together, he tried to explain his behaviour away by commenting on how imaginative he thought the comic was using this prog's Judge Dredd story as an example. In Sob Story, it is established that Mega City One is so over populated that there are citizens who live their lives in their cars, perpetually cruising around the city roads.

If you've never encountered this story before but it seems familiar to you then it might be because I suspect that it was the influence behind a recent Doctor Who story, Gridlock. Supposedly, an incidentally character seen driving one of the vehicles wearing a pin stripe suit was based on Judge Dredd's informant, Max Normal. This isn't the only time that this has happened. The devil from two parter, The Satan Pit, was apparently inspired by a drawing by art robot Simon Bisley. In fact, the new Doctor Who altogether is recognisant of early 2000 AD to me. This wouldn't be entirely surprising; the show's current producer and principle writer, Russell T. Davis, used to want to be a comic artist.

Anyway, whenever I entered the house with a pile of comics, my Dad would ask where 2000 AD was. My attitude was, as 2000 AD was the only British comic that I was interested in at the time and as he liked it so much, then why wasn't he buying it for me instead of expecting me to pay for it with my own, below national average pocket money. (Thanks John Craven's Newsround). What I thought of as a battle of wills between us ensued during the prog one hundreds where I would refuse to buy it, weeks at a time, in the hope that one day he would crack and buy it for me. He never did and I always ended up cracking first, partly because I liked it so much and partly because I wanted his approval.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • This is one of my all time favourite Bolland Dredd covers.

    Gonna have to pull it out of the depths of my wardrobe and have a look.

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 2:10 am  

  • There's a good bundle of Bolland cover during the one hundreds, I remember

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:53 pm  

  • Speaking of the Doctor Who reinvention and comic books, that reminds me there was an episode during the first series that reminded me of Neil Gaiman's brilliant Hellblazer story, Hold Me, it had Doctor Who giving a lonely ghost a hug. A doctor Constantine turned up later in the episode confirming my suspicions.

    On a related and similarly irrelevant note, I think the whole reinvention of Dr Who owes a lot to comic books and in particular to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, when what was essentially a children's vehicle was retooled for an adult audience while keeping hold of all the interesting bits from the past...

    By Blogger Tam, at 10:18 pm  

  • I agree Tam. I would say that I was not that bothered about Doctor Who until the recent reinvention. Perhaps I've been picking up on lots of comic referances.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:38 pm  

  • It wouldn't be surprising if the new crop of Dr Who writers were reading 2000AD. Paul Cornell, who wrote a great story in season three of the new run, is currently writing Captain Britain for Marvel.

    PS That's very honest of you to admit to your need of your father's approval, Paul.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 1:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home