<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, June 18, 2007

Prog 129

One prog into the alliance with Tornado and the reproduction reverts to the poor quality that we know and are confused by. As regular Slog commenter, Ken Davidson, remarked to a previous entry, the temporarily improved reproduction only came about because the existence of Tornado forced 2000 AD to go to another printer. Now that Tornado no longer technically exists, there's no need for the galaxy's greatest comic to go elsewhere.

This prog features an early Tharg strip. I have a confession to make; I used to think that Tharg was real. When the weekly started, I remember being puzzled by the mainstream news coverage concentrating on the return of Eagle favourite Dan Dare rather than the comic being edited by an actual alien. Why is the grown up news media run by idiots, I used to wonder.

In this story, Tharg is seen growing to a giant size and towering over the streets on London. Even accounting for the six-week delay between deadline and publication, I thought, surely I would remember the news coverage of this if, indeed, there were any. This is how I started to suspect that Tharg might actually be a creation of the real, human editorial team. I think it was around this time that I stopped believing in Father Christmas too.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Hi Paul.
    only just realised you can leave comments on here.
    i'm really enjoying the slog.
    keep up the good work.
    Jeff

    By Blogger lilly, at 7:27 am  

  • Cheers Jeff. I keep meaning to call you, mate (presuming you are the Jeff I am thinking of. If not, thanks anyway).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:30 pm  

  • yes it is the jeff you're thinking of.
    hurry up and read a couple of hundred progs till you get to where i started buying it.
    this is great stuff

    By Blogger lilly, at 8:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home