<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Prog 123

To recap, I bought progs 1 to 3 of 2000 AD when they came out and then lost them somehow. Later, I swapped some Marvel comics for the first twenty progs intending to buy it regularly from prog 21 due out that same week but some over exuberant re-sizing with a pair of scissors on my part put paid to that idea. After, I avoided the comic altogether until the one hundreds, meaning that I missed strips like The Cursed Earth, The Day The Law Died, Robo-Hunter: Verdes and The Visible Man first time around.

Now The Slog has reached the hundreds and there is a noticeable difference between the general tone to one hundred progs ago. For starters, characters aren't dispatched with the same glee that they once were. Now their fates are just cruel and ironic. Even Bill Savage, now starring in Disaster 1990, is almost civilized; although he seems yet to meet his wife let alone learn of her murder at the hands of those dirty Volgs. Certain artists are now part of the comic's establishment. This issue alone features stunning work by future stars Brian Bolland, Kevin O'Neill and Dave Gibbons as well a Jesus Redondo, a secret pleasure of mine.

During the one hundreds, I was a sporadic buyer, purchasing runs in short, occasional bursts. (I'll elaborate on why I think this was the case in a later post). I definitely had this issue. It was one of the earliest of this centaury that I recall buying. I distinctly remember the cover and thinking that 2000 AD was looking more like a superhero comic than when I saw it last. This was definitely a move in the right direction as far as I was concerned.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Yes, but it is perhaps Dan's transformation into Captain Marvel that is the strip's undoing...

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 5:39 pm  

  • I've wondered for years why Dan Dare got dropped from 2000 AD, Ken. It's all starting to be revealed...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 12:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home