<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Prog 117

One of the interesting things about doing The Slog so far are the creator names that pop up from time to time that I never expected to see at this stage if at all. One of these is script robot Steve Moore (no relation) who is writing the current Rick Random strip. I associate Steve Moore (no relation) more with Marvel UK originated material and, a little later, Warrior. The only 2000 AD material I remember him doing is more recent. In fact, it's so recent that I'm not entirely sure if any of it will appear as part of The Slog experiment, it finishing with prog 1100.

It's a shame perhaps that Moore will be best remembered as the guy who showed Alan Moore (no relation) how to write comic scripts. Apparently, he also devised the Future Shock format, this becoming the typical testing strip for most creator robots to come. However, I remember seeing episodes of his Rick Random strip from first time around and feeling that it looked quaint, old fashioned and not for me. Now, eighteen years later, although I now find Ron Turner's artwork on it to be quite impressive, almost beautiful, my feelings about the story remain the same.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Did you ever catch any of Ron Turner's older work on the original Rick Random? Reprinted I think in an early 2000ad summer special. Almost like a different artist - the same figure styles are there, but the art was rendered in a much more detailed way. Great stuff, especially the spaceships with 1950s sensibilities.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 4:08 pm  

  • Yes Ken. I've seen a couple of the old strips so far in The Slog. The reproduction seemed a bit small but amazing to look at just the same.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:59 pm  

  • Seem to recall that the Rick Random strip wasn't very popular with readers and it was finished up pretty quickly. I remember that at the time I just kinda 'zoned-out' when I read it. Think I mainly looked at the pictures. Ron Turner was a great artist but I don't think this was his best work in 2000AD. Although, come to think of it, it was probably his last? He'd done some earlier Dredd strips and (at least one) Future Shock. The Robot war strips he did were pretty good.

    By Blogger Crow, at 8:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home