<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, June 15, 2007

Prog 124

If I'm failing on the noticeable firsts in The Slog, then the less than noticeable firsts are going to totally pass me by. For example, Tharg's increasing alien vocabulary.

Tharg mentions the Dictators of Zrag in this prog's editorial. These are his deadly enemies and, more importantly to us, the haters of all things thrill powered. The thing is, I'm not sure if this is the first reference to them. My problem is that they feel so familiar to me that I'm not sure if this is because of The Slog or my memories of reading 2000 AD the first time around. This might also explain why I have doubts about, when Judge Dredd references 'Grud' (Mega City One speak for God) in this prog's episode, if this is a first or not.

But then, it would be the obsessive noting of this sort of thing that would make The Slog like too much hard work for me so I'm not especially ashamed of its failing in this area.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • I'm going to really show my geekiness here: the first mention of the Dictators of Zrag was much earlier on, probably before prog 24 or so. I recall a full page pic of Tharg's alien enemies - I *think* drawn by Kev O'Neill guided by readers' submissions. The Dictator pictured was more insectoid than humanoid - they started to look like Roy Kinnear a lot later on...

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 3:46 pm  

  • Ken, I'm actually at home as I write this so I could go and check my collection and see if they were indeed mentioned first in Prog 24... But I'm worried that you might be right :-).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 9:34 pm  

  • Hey - the blog feed works again, well done!

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 10:12 pm  

  • Great! Thanks for letting me know, Ken. I found a work-around.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home