<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Star Lord 22

I won in an eBay auction and received this issue of Star Lord just in time for The Slog. I have no idea what I would have done had this not happened. Used it as an excuse for a break, I guess, and let my slightly feverish brain cool down, but then that isn’t in the spirit of the experiment is it. Ahead of me is a clear run of 2000 AD until somewhere in the 900s. I’m missing a sci-fi special from the early eighties, but that wouldn’t prevent me from continuing on with The Slog theoretically. And this is presuming that I’m not going to include comics like Tornado as part of the experiment.

Well, I was expecting either unfinished or hastily wrapped up stories this issue but this didn’t seem to be the case. Admittedly, Mind Wars was packed full of story twists and developments but, let’s be fair, every single episode has read like that from the beginning. In truth, all four strips finished quite naturalistically. I imagine that the decision to stop publishing Star Lord must have been a quick one so it makes me wonder how the creators of the strips were able to do this. Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters had short run stories, so finishing those should have been easier than say, Mind Wars, which, three pages into the first episode, was already a saga. In both its and Holocaust’s case, Alan Hebden cleverly established early on the solution to the strips’ dilemmas. It meant that in the event of an abrupt end he could tie up the story without leaving any loose ends. I’m a little bit impressed, actually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home