<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, May 11, 2007

Star Lord 21


Another thing that I find interesting about Star Lord is the difference in productivity that Strontium Dog artist, Carlos Ezquerra, seems to have. Later, when the strip appears in 2000 AD, Ezquerra is the artist who draws the majority of Johnny Alpha's adventures (and there have been a few) with the exception of, ironically, the last story (but more about that another time, I suspect). Ezquerra is the artist I think of as the European equivalent of John Byrne; the guy you go to if you need a page a day drawing. I don't suppose that his productivity increased that dramatically in such a short space of time so I wonder if he had other gigs going on. I do know that he painted covers for Marvel UK's short-lived war comic, Fury around this time. Was he drawing a strip for Battle then too? This would explain why Strontium Dog missed issues of Star Lord and had episodes drawn by Brendan McCarthy and Ian Gibson.

2 Comments:

  • Never heard of Fury before. Ezquerra covers you say - have to try and dig up some old copies from somewhere.

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 12:28 pm  

  • I picked up a couple of eBay a few months ago and the covers really were lovely. Ezquerra did them all I belive except for number one which was by Dave Gibbons.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home