<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Star Lord 17


I think that this is the first time since starting The Slog that I've had a déjà vu experience, where what my front memory is telling me is at odds with what my back memory is saying. Like I said, I thought that I had never read a copy of Star Lord before but the moment I read this issue's episode of Strontium Dog it felt really familiar. Of course, both memories might be right. I might have read the Strontium Dog story in the form of a reprint elsewhere also long ago, just not as long ago as 1978.

In the strip, drawn by Brandon McCarthy (who at this time, seems to be the artist Star Lord and Tharg go to when the regular guys need a break), Johnny Alpha meets up with his sister. This is the bit that triggers the déjà vu because I seem to remember being unnerved by her although I don't remember Alpha ever having a sister. Basically, she looks exactly like her mean and moody bounty hunting brother. She is even the same height and has the same haircut, except she has boobs and hips. The sight of her stirred up old, confused, pre-pubescent feelings that I would rather forget; she's attractive but at the same time she isn't.

4 Comments:

  • Wait 'til you see Ezquerra's Angelina DiGriz in 2000ad...

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 6:44 pm  

  • Angelina DiGriz...? Perhaps that's who I've been confusing Alpha's sister with...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 5:28 pm  

  • Doesn't Johnny's sister appear in Portrait of a Mutant? So you might have read about her, just not in thi story...

    By Blogger Peter, at 8:11 pm  

  • Peter, maybe. Hopefully, it will all become clear as I continue The Slog. (Or less clear depending on how my brain handles it).

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home