<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Star Lord 16


As much as I am pleasantly surprised by a lot of the stuff in Star Lord, its Ro-Busters that I always knew would be my favourite. Who can resist a strip about the unlikely friendship between a war droid and a garbage disposal robot being sent on rescue missions too dangerous for humes? I know I can't. It’s two working class blokes frequently witness their less-abled colleagues regularly dieing in industrial accidents thanks to doing the same job that they do and who don't even have enough self-esteem to wonder where Health and Safety are.

I keep thinking while reading Ro-Busters how Aardman Animation might have been better off making this into a film instead of, say, Flushed Away (which I have always presumed to be rubbish because the massively overrated Shane Richie provides one of the voices). It has all the ingredients of a good but undeniably British film including one robot with an old style telephone stored inside his cheat, another who salutes management whenever he's asked to do anything and a third whose defiant personality is described as being down to a microchip malfunction. Of course, the comic strip should be enough but you can't blame me for wanting the rest of the world to know why I like it so much.

5 Comments:

  • I used to imagine Hammerhead with Captain Peacock's voice, and Ro-jaws with Mr Lucas's - or maybe Reg Varney's, if you'll allow me to confuse my 70s sitcoms for a moment.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 10:12 am  

  • I think this blog is great.

    In celebration of being me, last year I was bought a Batman comic signed by Bob Kane.

    This re-energised a need for comics that led to purchasing some expensive American things (like the first issue of New Gods). As I collected in a scattergun manner I suddenly realised what I was missing most .... 2000 a.d.

    I am currently collecting issues 1-100 of 2000 a.d. from a variety of sources. Soon I will have them all, ha ha ha, and then I will return to basket-weaving.

    By Blogger Corporate Blawg, at 1:19 pm  

  • Ken, there was robot called 1/2 Tough in an episode that I read recently that I read in Clive Dunn's voice

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:01 am  

  • Thanks, Corporate. Good luck with the hunt. Are you including Annuals and Specials etc?

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 8:03 am  

  • What an idea! Aardman doing Ro-Busters. Genius!

    It'll never happen, but top marks.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 4:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home