<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Star Lord 14


Some of you may remember the reservation coupons; the name and address slips that readers of comics during the seventies were encouraged to fill in, cut out and hand to their local newsagents. They usually started with the words, "Dear Mister Newsagent, please reserve/deliver for me one issue of (insert comic name) every week." I never filled one in and handed it over because I never wanted to damage my comics (despite what I said during my trimming-the-edges-off-the-first-twenty-progs-of-2000 AD-so-that-they-were-the-same-shape-as-my-collection-of-Marvel-UK-comics anecdote). I wonder how often readers did this. I can just imagine newsagents being baffled by the slips and losing them.

If they were baffled by the plainly worded slips for some comics, they must have been completely stumped as to what was being asked of them when they got handed the coupons from Star Lord and 2000 AD. I seem to remember Tharg having fun and smattering his with some alien speak. (If I was any sort of proper blogger, I would sort through my eBay win boxes and confirm this to you).

In the latest issue of Star Lord, I notice that its coupon is called "Card Identity". I don't really know what to say about this other than there is a little space for readers to stick a photograph of themselves to it and that this is nearly thirty years ago.

1 Comments:

  • I would never, ever have cut out those coupons out of my comics! Never!

    Incidentally, more 'swiping' on the cover with Carl Hunter sharing an extraordinary similarity to Dirty Harry Callahan.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 1:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home