<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, May 21, 2007

Prog 93

Due to industrial action, it’s been a month since the last prog. This is the seventies and absolutely everyone went on strike at some point or other. Even kids in our school went on strike at one point, I remember. Admittedly, I don’t recall what over but I do remember it lasting about twenty minutes until the nuns threatened us with detention and the strap.

Had I actually been buying 2000 AD at this time I would have been visiting the newsagents several times a day worried sick that I had missed it or something. Prog 93 would have become an obsession, an absolute focus for me. Instead, I’m laughing at my peers of 1978 from the benefit of 2007. Ha ha, I only had to wait half a day before getting to read Prog 93. In fact, I wouldn’t even describe it as waiting as I was doing stuff and didn’t even think about it. I bet you wish you were me.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • "No! Please let me drown before the giant scorpions get to me!"

    We've all been there.

    What a cover!

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 12:21 pm  

  • One of my favourites.
    Flesh couldn't be beaten for sheer gleeful sadistic bloodlust. In other words, completely brilliant.

    By Blogger mat_tait, at 1:17 pm  

  • My dad was a wee bit concerned at the imagery in Flesh, and Shako. A little later I remember sitting 'atop my dad's knee' trying to convince him that Starlord was a tad less violent than 2000ad, just as he happened upon a pic in Starlord of someone melting in acid rain. I lost that argument.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 7:43 pm  

  • I was one of those kids that fretted over the absence of 2000ad. It was sheer mental turmoil, every 'feeler' was put out, every relative / neighbour was one high-alert looking for the bairn's comic. I went through a similar patch when I missed prog 5 just because it had sold out locally. My dad drove me around 20 miles to Dunfermline to find a newsagent of the old school that kept several weeks mags in stock - I was in luck! What a newsagent! What a dad!

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 7:47 pm  

  • My Dad banned everything - Adam and the Ant for being 'Punk', Grange Hill etc - but, despite reading all my comics never banned any of them. Funny that...

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:12 pm  

  • My dad collected 2000ad for me on pre-order. I remember the strike - it was awful. I suspected at the time that my dad was lying and had actually cancelled the subscription because he couldn't see the point of frivolities like SciFi or comics. Or fun.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 5:12 pm  

  • I remember an industrial dispute which must have been a year or two later (as it was during the summer). Boy, that was a miserable summer that I spent buying up back issues of every conceivable third-rate comic I could lay my hands on.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home