<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Prog 100

My memory isn’t the most reliable of things but it tells me that traditionally, celebrating a hundredth issue of a comic isn’t something British publishers always did. I put this down to what could also be another trick of my memory, British comics not normally being numbered. American publishers were more interested in celebrating a centennial than us British. It’s 1979 and I wonder if this is because British readers are still resistant to all things metric, what with it only having been officially around for a few years.

On the surface, this prog makes an attempt to celebrate its one hundredth issue but fails. In the Nerve Centre, Tharg tells us that as part of the celebrations, he’s giving away two ten pound prizes this prog instead of the usual one. That’s very generous Tharg, but if only you had mentioned this a few weeks ago; I might have sent you something. There is also the first of a four part poster reproduction of the classic cover to prog 61 by art robot Mick McMahon. That would be fantastic but it’s reproduced on the same low quality newsprint that the rest of the comic is printed in. In fact, it’s not even printed to the edge of the page for easy assemblage later on.

However, there’s stuff happening here that is worth communicating with home about. Both Robo-Hunter and Dan Dare return, at last. John Wagner writes thirteen pages, admittedly using his pseudonyms John Howard and TB Grover. Dave Gibbons draws fourteen pages which is amazing as he barely seems to manage that a year these days. All in all, this is the best way to celebrate a numerical landmark, I would say.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I remember being ecstatic that Dan Dare had returned. Gibbons seemed to have found a renewed vigour, and the quality of draughtsmanship went through the roof. Perhaps it was the interest sparked by the return of a 1950s nemesis? The whole idea of this Messianic figure prostrate across the wreckage featuring the old Eagle logo put me in a tizz, because by that time I knew my old Eagle lore, and had no-one to communicate this with!

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 9:35 am  

  • That poster - I collected all four parts, trimmed the edges and then stuck them onto a piece of cardboard. I loved that poster.
    Love the web log.
    Splundigg vur thrigg!

    By Blogger Ben, at 10:47 am  

  • Ken, Gibbons is definitely on a roll at the moment.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:15 pm  

  • Ben, I think that you might have been the previous owner of my copies of these progs in a past life. I’ve had to hunt around for complete issues on eBay. It is a wicked image though.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:17 pm  

  • Paul, keep watching Gibbons over the period of the new Dare story. Take note of Dare's script droid. I'd be interested in your comments.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 10:33 am  

  • I wonder if the 14 pages of Gibbons had to do with the quick merger with Star Lord. Maybe he had some art prepared at the time and then had to have it held back whilst Ro-Busters and Johnny Alpha made their appearances? Just a thought.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home