<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Friday, May 25, 2007

99

Given that a lot of readers are waiting for the continuation of Dan Dare and Robo-Hunter, both thrills having been pushed aside by the arrival of Star Lord, starting Angel about a month back seems like a dismissive move by Tharg. In Angel, after crashing his state of the art plane, a pilot finds that the circuitry from the navigation computer has fused with his body giving him enhanced physical abilities. Angel sits somewhere between The Six Million Dollar Man and MACH 1. If you've read MACH 1 then you will know that it was pretty damn close to The Six Million Dollar Man already so sitting between the two is quite an achievement.

There has been a run of space ship semantics on the back pages recently; diagrams of the fictional crafts that have appeared in the comic over the last couple of years. Although I think a good looking spaceship can be a bit cool, I've never been the slightest bit interested in this sort of detail and have only been glancing at them during The Slog. I mean, is anyone really interested enough to learn what pretend fuel powers the pretend ship that, let's face it, they had forgotten about, anyway? "Oh, that's where the engines are" and "oh, that's where the little people sit when they're flying it". Usually I wouldn't care but every now and then, I think that this could be a beautifully drawn pin-up by Brian Bolland instead.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • I'm a nerd. Was then, am now: I loved the cutaways.

    By Blogger Stavros, at 5:23 pm  

  • Hi Stavros. I feel I should write something about the artist that drew all of these. It IS quite an achiebvement. He's not someone I know of drawing any strips.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 4:28 pm  

  • I guess the Angel strip was a quick and easy way of 2000AD getting to No100, when, of course, it could announce new strips with its new three figure status. I have to say, I used to love 'anniversary' issues like no100. Okay, I still do and feel that every publisher should make them special!

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 3:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home