<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, April 30, 2007

Star Lord 12


(This is definitely issue twelve. It's got a big twelve on the cover. They wouldn't lie to me about what issue this is, would they?)

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying reading Star Lord. I had always thought, because it was later amalgamated into 2000 AD, that it was inferior in content but this doesn't seem to be the case. I fully expected to find Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters to be fun, as they successfully made the leap across in the amalgamation, but enjoying Mind Wars as well? Now that is a revelation to me.

There are elements to the strip that seem lifted from Star Wars. For example, the importance of the psychic twins in a galactic war seems reminiscent of Force gifted Jedi Knights affecting the balance between the Empire and the rebels or something. There was even a scene a few issues ago where we see a planet blown to pieces by a space weapon. But there's enough about the strip that has it stand aside from these comparisons. The twist and turn of the plot is an aspect that I am particularly enjoying.

When I started The Slog, there were writers that I fully expected to enjoy reading again, such as John Wagner and Pat Mills, and others whose work I thought I wouldn't. Alan Hebden was one of the latter. Let it be known that I am man enough to say here, right now, that I was wrong.

2 Comments:

  • Alan Hebden wrote Meltdown man which makes him OK in my eyes.

    Did you know he was still writing for Commando?

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 5:04 pm  

  • Hi Dom

    No, I didn't. That is strangly reassuring to know. Thanks.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 3:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home