<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Star Lord 1

Meanwhile, thanks to the success of Star Wars or 2000 AD or a combination of them both, IPC started to publish a second science fiction weekly, Star Lord. Unlike it's sister comic, Star Lord was printed on a higher grade of paper and contained more pages of colour.

Because this is the place that Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters first appeared, strips which featured characters that later went on to become main stays in 2000 AD, I have decided to include it as part of the Prog Slog project. This does not mean that I will also include Tornado, Dice Man, The Megazine, Crisis and Revolver (titles that either went on to amalgamate with 2000 AD or spin out of it) or that I won't. I haven't really decided yet.

For your information, I have never read a single issue of Star Lord before now. At 12 P (3P more than 2000 AD at the time), it was well out of my price range in 1978. Basically, with its painted covers and toned interiors, I thought that it was meant for bigger boys

9 Comments:

  • For the most part it was good stuff, I used to love it. It was intended to be a quality monthly or biweekly featuring just Strontium Dog and Robusters, I believe. IPC supremos had cold feet at the eleventh hour and the creative team had to conjur up more stories quickly... You can probably tell which ones.

    By Blogger Ken Davidson, at 8:02 pm  

  • You're not doing anything on Dice Man!?

    That's a shame, I loved that thing. Very hard to track down old copies now.

    Used to buy that and the Fighting Fantasy magazine. Actually some of my favourite issues of 2000AD were the ones with the choose your own adventure Slaine strips.

    By the way the Strontium Dog paperback contains all the pre2000ad Starlord stuff.

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 12:42 am  

  • Ha! StarLord was my gateway drug to the prog. My dad bought me StarLord as a surprise one day and I never looked back.

    I think you have to review Tornado just for the pictures of Dave Gibbons as "Big E"

    By Blogger Matt, at 10:00 am  

  • Thanks Ken. I'm unfamiliar with the back ground to Star Lord.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 2:35 pm  

  • Dom, although over the years I sold my previous runs on both 2000 AD and Judge Dredd, I kept my copies of Dice Man. it struck me as an interesting curiosity. So, who knows, maybe I will include it.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 2:37 pm  

  • Matt, I did buy Tornado number one when it first came out but I lost it long ago. I think I can cover Dave Gibbons as "Big E" without having to track down and re-read it as I don't remember it as being very good.

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 2:45 pm  

  • During a hospital stay when I was a kid I spotted a Star Lord annual in the waiting room and kept throughout my stay. Then I took it home with me.

    By Blogger Garen, at 5:17 pm  

  • Matt: Re Dave Gibbons as the Big E, there is a feature on this very topic in the February edition of "Back Issue". Should still be able to get hold of it at your local comic shop (or they could order it) if you are interested

    By Blogger Dom Sutton, at 12:51 am  

  • I remember Star Lord coming out for the first time and thinking it looked amazing - so much better than 2000AD, but I think the price put me off too. Funny to think now that 12p seemed excessively expensive for such a well produced weekly.

    PS I loved Tornado - its 22 issues were comic perfection; the joy of my childhood

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 12:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home