<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Monday, March 12, 2007

New Readers, Start Here!

One day in 1977, a nine-year-old boy with some hair and wearing national health glasses wandered into his favourite shop (the local newsagent) and bought the first issue of 2000 AD. Thirty years later, he bought the same comic again (this time minus the original free space spinner sticky-back-plasticed to the cover) along with most of the following 1, 180 issues in an eBay auction.

That nine-year-old boy was me and the man who won the auction a couple of months ago was also me. Basically, the boy, the man and me are the same person. I bought Prog 1 of 2000 AD in 1977, the first 1, 180 (missing only a handful of issues) at the end of last year and then wrote about it here in this blog today.

Of course, after buying so many comics, I am now under obligation to read them all, which is a daunting task that at the time of learning of my eBay auction win made me feel a bit sick and kept me awake for the entire night. I think that the film Supersize Me must have been on telly recently because it occurred to me that chronicling my reading of so many comics over a contracted period of time might be an interesting and fun thing to do. Hence, the 2000 AD Prog Slog Blog.

As you might have noticed, I have already read a year’s worth and made entries here relating to many of those progs. But there is a still many years of 2000 AD’s for me yet to read and, if you include all the Annuals, Specials and related publications (such as Star Lord) that I am seeking out relating to this project, then the task is much bigger than just the 1, 180 comics won in the original auction.


Will this experiment result in, as Tharg the Mighty has warned of many times in his editorials over the years, thrill power overload or will I, like Morgan Spurlock in the documentary Supersize Me, end up being sick a lot and twenty five pounds heavier? Only this blog will tell.

9 Comments:

  • Hello, I've just been alerted to your mission via http://www.jezuk.co.uk/cgi-bin/view/jez/linkFarm?id=3176 and I thought I'd comment.

    I was ten when 2kad started, and have been on the ride all the way. However, I stopped buying/reading at around prog 600 'cos I thought the comic had sunk low, and I thought I'd grown out of it. Fast forward to a couple of years ago when I procured all the missing years' progs from a fellow enthusiast. Since then he has bought/saved each year's worth and donated them to my growing archive.

    I fear for your sanity. I read a batch of over 500 in a little under a month or so. Reading progressive sets of 52 is about as much as I can take, and still enjoy the experience. More importantly, there is temptation to skim things that either don't scan well at first sight, or are visually tiresome. This would not happen during a week-by-week reading experience.

    To be less long-winded: my advice is take your time, and don't feel obliged to blog about every prog! Perhaps blog only when something momentous happens, or your gut tells you that you've reached a high (or low) point.

    Splundig vur thrigg!

    By Blogger DocDelete, at 1:01 pm  

  • Cheers docdelete. That's good advice. Especially when I pass the 600 mark :-)

    By Blogger Paul Rainey, at 10:17 pm  

  • Hi Paul.
    You realise you're just going to drive yourself insane through this mad experiment don't you?

    Fictions

    By Blogger Richard, at 12:10 am  

  • I posted a short article about your blog at my blog. I'd be thrilled if you were to read it and possibly leave a comment. In any case, this is just a courtesy notification.

    http://comics4everyone.blogspot.com/2007/03/prog-slog-blog-2000-ad-returns.html#links

    Good luck with this project. Looking forward to future entries.

    Mike Leuszler
    comics4everyone.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Mike, at 2:08 pm  

  • I actually bought Issue 1 of 2000AD off Ebay too. Not sure why, I daren't touch the thing. Looks like it's gonna disintegrate!

    Gonna post a piece about this marathon on SciFi UK Review, the world deserves to know...

    Anyways, your brain'll go to mush with this stunt, believe me. Good luck!

    By Blogger Richard, at 1:47 am  

  • hey paul, looking forward to your observations. i love your No Time Like The Present series, and i'm sure your commentary will be spot on. and regress me back to pre-deoderant days. good luck!

    By Blogger mike, at 8:34 pm  

  • Paul,

    great blog. I was also 9 years of age in 1977, (born '68), and waiting for a week for the next issue to arrive at the newsagents seemed like an eternity. one of my favourite stories were the burger wars. did they feature Chopper, (my fave character), or am I making it up?

    any chance you could let me know what issues the Burger Wars featured in and what issue Chopper was first introduced?

    themusicologist

    By Blogger themusicologist, at 10:05 am  

  • Hi, just come across your blog today. Looks intriguing and look forward to a few more visits. I have written a few reviews on comicvine.com under the alias 'dmstarz' and was six years old when 2000AD first came out. And, yes, even at that young age, I did buy the first copy. Best wishes.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 12:01 pm  

  • Bravo! My current read pile of about 50 comics and 3 graphic novels makes me feel giddy so I have nothing but respect for your backbone and good old 'stiff upper lip' British-ness in the face of this mammoth task. Coincidently, your recent posts (around prog 700) are actually in my read pile, so I look forward to reading them alongside your posts. I also look forward to seeing your posts gradually deteriorate into garbled nonsense as your brain slowly turns into the aforementioned mush.

    Bravo!

    By Blogger StickHead, at 9:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home