<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Prog 23


When I was idly going through eBay and saving 2000 AD lots to my Watch List for the auctions to expire, I found myself particularly attracted to the covers from the prog twenties. They were real pulpy affairs and I was fascinated as to what internal strips that they could relate to. It transpires that the answer is none. These were a series of “Superscan” covers. It seems that the artist drew whatever pulp science fiction theme they wanted, then an editor wrote a short story loosely based around the illustration of no more than two hundred words or so to run in the Nerve Centre (the editorial page).
For me, this Brian Bolland cover isn’t the best of the “Superscan” series. This might be ironic given that he went on to become one of the best established comic cover artists of the last two decades.

1 Comments:

  • I like the close up cover he did of some astronaut looking a bit brain dead, I think it was from a few issues later than this cover.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 1:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home