<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2000 AD Prog Slog

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Prog 1


Prior to prog 350, where I began buying 2000 AD every week, there is only one issue that that I deliberately set out to buy. I must have owned around a hundred issues before 350, but 99% of these were only bought if I was bored, had the money and chanced upon it in a newsagent. Anyway, that one issue was prog 1.
How I heard about it originally, I’m not entirely sure. Some part of my memory tells me that I saw an advert on TV, either early one Friday evening or Saturday morning. I also have a suspicion that John Craven’s Newsround did an item on the return of Dan Dare to comics. Whatever, I can’t imagine how I would have known about it even though I was buying lots of Marvel UK titles at the time.
I think this is probably the third time that I’ve owned a copy of 2000 AD prog 1. Obviously, I bought it when it was first published. A couple of months later, I swapped the issues I was missing for the first issues of The Mighty World Of Marvel determined never to miss a programme from that point on. Thanks to some sort of mental spasm, I cut an inch off the end of the first twenty so that they were the same size as my collection of narrower Marvel UK comics I had. Then I realised that I lost some of the strips thanks to my handy work, threw the copies I had ruined away and didn’t buy an issue for over eighteen months.
Ten years later, I bought the first six from my friend Michael Flack for five Earth pounds. They were in shocking condition but I later sold them along with the rest of my pre-prog 350s to a retailer believing that I had all the strips that I wanted from them in one reprint collection or other. Ten years ago, I got rid of the rest of my collection shortly after moving into my new flat and needing money to furnish it. (Obviously, I had to sell a lot of other stuff too).
Over the last few months, during quiet periods in the office, I found myself placing 2000 AD collections into my eBay watch list. Fortunately, I had the discipline not to bid on any of them. That is until a couple of weeks ago when I won an auction for one thousand issues starting with prog 1 and only missing a handful.
It’s like the saying goes; eBay will find lots for idle hands to bid on. Actually, I got a very good deal, but this didn’t stop me from feeling ill the night I had won the auction. Had I been impetuous bidding on the lot? Where would I store them all? When will I find the time to read them all?

5 Comments:

  • >Some part of my memory tells me that I saw an advert on TV

    http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=download&page=movies

    bottom link is the 1977 advert

    By Blogger W. R. Logan, at 2:58 pm  

  • Hey Paul

    I'm pretty sure issue one was heavily advertised on the TV before its release and Im sure thats how I heard about it, which is why I made my way down the newsagents to buy the first book and bought countles more for the next few years!
    For some unexplained reason thirty one years later I decided to google 2000AD and all I can say is it must have made an impression on me as I remember the images of alot of the front covers you have displayed on your site!

    cheers

    Jon

    By Blogger Jon, at 3:29 pm  

  • I started buying 2000AD at about Prog 317, which I think was the first to contain DR and Quinch. A few years later (in 1985)I happened to be walking past a 2nd hand bookshop in the outer suburbs of Christchurch (NZ) and I saw Prog 1 in the window, which I purchased for the cover price of 20 cents. Now I'm wrestling with myself about putting all the progs on ebay.

    By Blogger Paul, at 5:08 am  

  • Heh, it's funny the things we do as kids - that cutting the comics thing would be very logical to a nine year old!

    I bought issue 1 because a friend was buying it, the main part of the attraction being, I think, the spinner on the cover (oh, such innocent days!). I bought most of the first 20 or so issues and then stopped, chucking them all out. I then didn't read 2000AD for years, though some of my friends did. I recommenced buying it around prog 330 or so.

    By Blogger dmstarz, at 1:37 pm  

  • @ WR Logan - - not seeing that ad. . . wonder if the link's changed.

    Anyway, great blog Paul. As part of my mid-life crisis, I'm digging out my collection again. Forgotten how good Invasion is -- Bill Savage is predictable enough, but I love the Volgan tech/viciousness. Ah memories. . .

    Funny how Judge Dredd was second division back then while they tried to make the Starlord stuff work. Be interesting to see how long it took him to move to pole position.

    By Blogger David J. Williams, at 8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home